Thursday, May 24, 2007

sedentary and ambitionless

other teachers at my school are dumb. today, a math teacher insisted that a whore and a hooker are different, in that whores don't charge money. he insisted. i was very firm that they did, and he was just as adamant that they did not. i looked it up on m-w.com right in front of him and he still wouldn't change his stance.

i still remember a science teacher who refused to believe that conch is pronounced conk. i maintain that conch being pronounced phonetically is only due to people pronouncing it wrongly so much that it became correct. i could be wrong on that one though.

also, today, i went to lunch with this teacher. we have a running dialogue where she asks me why i am not making way more money as an electrical engineer. and i explain i don't want to. this is paraphrased.
her: what was your major, mech eng?
me: electrical.
her: i don't understand why you don't make loads more money with your degree.
me: that's because you don't know what motivates me.
her: nothing motivates you.
me: (kind of surprised at being found out so easily) oh, i guess you do understand.
her: i know you have no motivation, but why?
me: ...

later that day she said that i had a sedentary, ambitionless lifestyle. that was genuinely a bit upsetting.

so either she overestimates me or i underestimate myself. i would pay money for a scale that measured my total worth as a human being and simply gave me a clean, objective number.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home