Monday, September 20, 2004

acceptance speech

i just started nausicaa of the valley of the wind in the living room. but i paused it during the credits because it occurred to me that i might never have discovered how incredibly awesome hayao miyazaki is without ken.

i'd like to thank ken, for suggesting one night when we were bored freshman year, that we rent the movie princess mononoke.

i'd like to thank mike liu, for mentioning the weirdass anime that adult swim started showing at midnight near the beginning of senior year.

i'd like to thank the stupid science fiction book club for sending me the riverrun trilogy when i forgot to check off and return the "please don't send me this month's selections" in the monthly mailing. i also owe them for the book of swords and his dark materials, although i chose those myself.

i'd like to thank whichever high school english class it was that required i read a prayer for owen meany over the summer.

i'd like to thank jess (my nieces' mom) for introducing me to a song of ice and fire by george r r martin.

i'd like to thank mary for joining the frisbee team freshman year.

i guess i'd like to thank common app for including columbia. i swear, i'd never heard of the place until i got in.

running out of thingys. i think that's it. i'm sure everyone in my life can claim credit for making me the person i am today, or some shit like that. if you remember something that i owe you special for, feel free to remind me.

oh, i'm definitely thanking steiner for being the first person to get off his cheap ass and buy an xbox. i love you halo.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home