Wednesday, September 22, 2004

on loving

hello, eric's world.

ericthehodgeheG (11:39:43 PM): i think i would like it there better, knowing you put it there
ericthehodgeheG (11:39:52 PM): there's meaning
ericthehodgeheG (11:39:54 PM): you idiot

so, here goes...

"love anything and your heart will be wrung and possibly broken. if you want to make sure of keeping it intact, you must give it to no one, not even an animal. wrap it carefully round hobbies and little luxuries; avoid all entanglements. lock it up safe in the casket or coffin of your own selfishness. but in that casket--safe, dark, motionless, airless--it will change. it will not be broken. it will become unbreakable, impenetrable, irredeemable. to love is to be vulnerable" - c.s. lewis

discuss amongst yourselves.
guilelessly,
p.k.m.

5 Comments:

At 12:49 PM, Blogger Sasha said...

mmmmmmm I love vulnerability....

 
At 2:09 PM, Blogger Eric said...

by vulnerability you mean ice cream, yes?

 
At 2:11 PM, Blogger Eric said...

plus, pkm conveniently left out the question to which i responded. something about suspicions that i was simply too lazy to post the quotation myself. that's what she thinks of me.

 
At 9:32 PM, Blogger pooja said...

didn't want to make you look bad...

 
At 9:45 AM, Blogger Sasha said...

No... I think I actually mean vulnerability. It's kind of exciting, like standing on the edge of a mountain and leaning off the edge into the wind. Wind, totally out of your control, holds you up... and you get to just trust it not to drop you... terribly exciting :) (Mt. Washington is the windiest place ever, the calmest I've ever seen the wind there (out of two trips) is 60 mph)....

Love is more fun though, adds another layer or two of complexity, i.e. you can't control exactly how you lean, but you can change the way the wind blows. It's kinda easy to change/effect how people feel... Also... love tends to have more benefits than leaning of a mountain.

It seems silly to be all cowardly and curl up all fetal-like until the love goes away. The worst that will happen is that it won't kill you... and the best is pretty good. And maybe it's the same sort of thing that inspires Russian/Jewish black-humour and that creates quotes like "The Russian soul only feels alive
when it's suffering" but I can't imagine missing out on any bits of life. Suffering/happiness/any really strong emotions are incredible, and oddly enough, while I feel really [something] while blissful, I feel equally [something] when I'm barely able to think about the naked girl lying in front of me because I want to rip someone's arm off out and beat them to death with it. (trouble is while I'm not sure exactly what [something] is... I think I may have some sort of need for it, and I welcome it whenever I can feel it...)

I'm done; I just watched something about endless sunshine and spotless minds; I may have just wanted to talk, but not to post....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home