Friday, September 24, 2004

The World According To

One of my favorite books, and possibly my absolute favorite, is The World According to Garp. it has nothing to do with this post. i just borrowed the title.

A friend called me tonight. I laughed so hard. I was on the floor, on my back, rolling around and laughing, at one point. That doesn't mean the call was funny. But if I couldn't find it funny, I'd have to stick a shotgun in my mouth and pull. The same goes for my friend, I think. He called me because he knew I would understand, and that I would appreciate it more than anyone else possibly could. It's so perfect and so awful at the same time. He even said he felt better because he called me.

Life. Life is incredible. and if you can't laugh at it, then you can't live. i laugh because there's no other way to deal with it. oh. stranger in a strange land. read it. heinlein knows exactly why we laugh. i wish i had it here with me now. maybe i'll go to barnes and noble tomorrow and reread that passage.

in The World According to Me, i will die alone. that's after leading a full life of aloneness. i can only pray (to what?) that the world doesn't really work this way, despite the mounting evidence that i could not be more correct. maybe, at some point, it'll get back to normal.

talking to my friend put me in the mood to watch high fidelity. such a great movie. such a great book. they're both so good. i don't even think one is necessarily better than the other. which is saying a lot, for the movie especially. nick hornby - where did he gain all that knowledge? how long did he spend meditating on a mountaintop? and the best part is i watched the last 20 minutes or so with a huge grin on my face. maybe real life can work out like that. it's not impossible, right? which means it's a little possible, at least.

i could go on about the movie for pages, miles, hours, kilowatt-hours, but i won't. if you haven't seen it... i don't know. you're a bad person, or something. you're not my friend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home